SES launches Free-To-Air Satellite Channel to Fight Spread of COVID-19
SES uses reliable content from trusted organisations such as UNICEF and AFP to bring critical, informative COVID-19 messages to rural communities
Luxembourg, 14 July 2020 — Millions of households across Africa, Europe, and Asia-Pacific will be able to access a free-to-air TV channel via SES satellites dedicated to delivering reliable, informative content about COVID-19. The channel – Fight COVID-19 – broadcasts content that is aimed at providing underserved and rural communities with critical information about how to limit the spread of the virus.
The content is provided by trusted organisations such as UNICEF and AFP as well as global EdTech social enterprise Potential.com. The content aims to impartially inform TV viewers about identifying COVID-19 symptoms, the recovery process, and how to manage the effects of a global pandemic and social distancing, such as managing a household, children or mental health. SES welcomes additional content providers from international and regional organisations to contribute to the COVID-19 channel.
The channel is broadcast free-to-air from SES’s satellite fleet and is available in the following regions:
• SES-5 at 5 degrees East for Sub-Saharan Africa (12034 MHz, H-pol, DVB-S, SR 27500, FEC 3/4, SID 8008)
• ASTRA 4A at 5 degrees East for Europe and Ukraine (11747 MHz, V-pol, DVB-S2 / 8PSK, SR 30000, FEC 3/4, SID 7695)
• ASTRA 2F at 28.2 degrees East for West Africa (12605 MHz, V-pol, DVB-S2 / QPSK, SR 30000, FEC 5/6, SID 557100)
• NSS-12 at 57 degrees East for Ethiopia and adjacent countries (11165 MHz, H-pol, DVB-S2 / QPSK, SR 45000, FEC 3/4, SID 6337)
• SES-9 at 108.2 degrees East for the Philippines
“Our lives have been disrupted by COVID-19 in the last few months, and unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. Through the global reach of satellite, we are in a position to contribute our resources wisely to help provide important information to vulnerable communities,” said Steve Collar, CEO of SES. “We have been really fortunate to be able to collaborate with UNICEF, AFP and Potential.com who are willing to contribute their content for this good cause. Together, we hope to reach a wide group of audiences with reliable and trustworthy content and do our part in helping slow the spread of COVID-19.”
For further information on the project or how to contribute content to the Fight COVID-19 channel, please contact:
Tel. +352 710 725 500