DTC & DTT
There are two ways to arrange feeding content into DTC networks. Broadcasters can either lease dedicated space segment over a particular region to feed cable networks, or cable networks can source content directly from Direct-to-Home (DTH) services.
In 2017, 24% of all TV in Europe was delivered via cable, of which 94% was delivered via our satellites. In addition, TV channels distributed to cable head-ends via our North American fleet reach practically 100% of US cable homes. With a dedicated space segment, the satellite feed is only made available to cable head-ends. Our engineers dimension the signal to make the most of the satellite capacity, achieving higher throughput. When the signal is integrated with DTH, the link budget is optimised for transmission to DTH homes, and cable operators simply feed the content into their network. The choice for which model to use depends on your distribution strategy, as well as how your network has been developed.
You will benefit from:
- Ability to reach 100% of the cable head-ends in the covered regions
- Prime content neighbourhoods located in established DTH orbital positions
- System designed specifically for bandwidth-heavy content, such as HDTV and Ultra HD
- Optimised link for distribution, backed by reliable service with built-in redundancy at every level
For Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), satellites can deliver TV and radio content to towers or repeaters in the network.
Satellite is an ideal infrastructure for DTT distribution for a number of reasons. It provides immediate coverage of all terrestrial transmitters, enabling swift network expansion. It enables network roll-out at a fixed cost, with no incremental cost to expand the network. It delivers secure and reliable content everywhere within the covered region.
In Single Frequency Networks, all the towers use the same frequency, optimising the spectrum usage. These networks can be fed via our satellites’ DTH signals, however this network type requires additional investment and equipment at the DTH teleport and DTT towers. In Multi-Frequency Networks, the towers each use their own frequency. These networks can be fed directly via the DTH signal, and require no additional investment except the receiver and dish at the DTT towers. Our DTT/DTH solution enables terrestrial network operators to feed DTT transmitters while offering complementary DTH coverage in white spots. This integrated solution offers 100% reach from the onset, with cost savings since the space segment is only required once.
A DTT/DTH solution enables terrestrial network operators to efficiently feed DTT transmitters, as well as complementing coverage in difficult to reach areas.
You will benefit from:
- Cost savings, as you only need lease the space segment once
- DTH compatibility without the need for a specific set-top box
- DTT compatibility with both single frequency and multi-frequency networks
- 100% reach from the onset with an optimised network design
- Future-proof MPEG-4 and HEVC DVB-S2 technologies, ensuring a smooth transition to HDTV
Learn how we can help get your content from anywhere to everywhere.Talk to us today