Ready for take-off
Consumers are captivated by Ultra HD – they have never experienced TV that’s so true to life. Whether they’re watching watching live Premier League, or celebrating a penalty shot in the FIFA World Cup, Ultra HD makes them feel like they can walk right into the action.
Ultra HD delivers the most lifelike content ever. In addition to four times the pixels of HDTV, your audiences will enjoy more colours, more contrast and flawless action scenes on their TVs thanks to the following features that will soon be available:
- BT.2020, a standard created by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), will increase the number of displayable colours, while also providing finer gradients between colours.
- 10-bit colour, increasing the number of shades for each primary colour from 256 to 1024, providing a total of one billion displayable colours.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR), increasing contrast by enabling the television to carry information about brighter pixels right from the broadcaster to the TV screen.
- High Frame Rates (HFR), transmitting at 100 frames per second instead of the current 50 frames per second, so fast action sports and fast camera movements will become a lot smoother and sharper than they are today.
As TV prices continue to drop and the content on offer continues to grow, the rate of adoption will only increase – in every market around the globe. The time to start planning the launch of your Ultra HD channel is now. And that’s where we can help.
Satellites ready for transmissions
Satellite is the only infrastructure that can easily distribute both live and linear Ultra HD content to any point on the globe. With four times the resolution to significantly improve the viewing experience, the bandwidth requirements for Ultra HD requires high bandwidth - even with the efficiency of the HEVC encoding standard.
Our satellites already
- Transmit to 325 million TV homes around the world
- Reach 17.2 million Ultra HD ready homes in Europe
- Deliver 4 demo channels over our key orbital positions in Europe to support the adoption of the Ultra HD standard
- Carry over 30 Ultra HD channels worldwide, of which 21 are commercial
- Help 30 Pay TV operators accelerate the delivery of Ultra HD via their cable systems in North America, reaching over 10 million subscribers
Bringing your content everywhere
At SES we invest in the promotion of Ultra HD technology and are fully engaged to take picture quality to the next level with the development of Ultra HD. We currently operate more than 30 Ultra HD live channels, of which 10 are test channels, to help pay-TV operators and broadcasters test the technology. We deliver consistent bandwidth with 99.99936% reliability from our global fleet and secure ground network, ensuring we can take your Ultra HD content from anywhere to everywhere.
Transforming your Ultra HD ambitions into a successful commercial reality takes the right partner. As pioneers in the broadcast and Ultra HD adoption, we carry the highest number of Ultra HD channels and offer the broadest variety of Ultra HD content, including genres from fashion and sport to science and reality programming.
|Read the UHD Case Studies|
|Read the UHD White Paper|
Your UHD eBook
Discover the most lifelike viewing experienceDownload your eBook
Learn how we can help you launch your Ultra HD channel.Talk to us today