Ten things about the ASTRA 5B
1. Was built by EADS Astrium in Toulouse, France, based on the highly reliable Eurostar E3000 platform.
2. Will be the eighth Eurostar satellite in the SES fleet, following the recent successful launches of ASTRA 2F, SES-6, and ASTRA 2E.
3. Will be located at the orbital position of 31.5 degrees East.
4. The satellite will extend SES' transponder capacity and geographical reach over Eastern Europe and neighbouring markets for DTH, direct-to-cable and contribution feeds to digital terrestrial television networks.
5. Is equipped with 40 Ku-band transponders (36 MHz equivalent) as well as 6 Ka-band transponders.
6. Carries a hosted L-band payload for the European Commission's European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS).
7. Will have a launch mass of 6 tonnes, a wingspan of 40m once its solar arrays are deployed in orbit.
8. A spacecraft power of 13kW at the end of its 15-year design lifetime.
9. Will be the 56th satellite in the SES fleet.
10. Is the first SES satellite to be launched in 2014.
Smarter Mines Empowered People
German-based global satellite provider CETel, enabled by SES Networks’ end-to-end managed connectivity solutions, has transformed mining operations in one of the most remote, land-locked sites in the world with access to cloud-based systems.Read the full case study