Mission assurance by design
Resilience – Key requirements for SATCOM
Resilience is one of the most important requirements for a SATCOM system. Its users have to contend with multiple emerging threats, including counter-space weapons, high-power jamming systems and cyberattacks. For government SATCOM systems, resilience is a highly desirable attribute, as SATCOM is a key enabler for mission success.
What does this mean for the system planner, and how does one ensure a SATCOM system is assuredly resilient?
Resilience is the ability of a system to support the functions necessary for mission success with higher probability, shorter periods of reduced capability, and across a wide range of scenarios, conditions and threats – in spite of hostile actions or adverse conditions. Together with Reconstitution and Defensive Operations, Resilience is one of the essential elements through which Space Domain Mission Assurance can be delivered.
How proliferation enhances SDMA
Proliferation means using larger numbers of the same platforms, payloads or other system components to perform the same mission. Examples of activities which increase the proliferation capability of satellite systems include deploying larger numbers of satellites, gateways or data processing facilities.
For the O3b mPOWER system design, we selected the following proliferation options:
- Seven satellites in the initial constellation with only six required for coverage
- O3b mPOWER satellites utilise the same Ka-band and antenna components as the 20 ‘first generation’ O3b MEO satellites
- Nine anchor gateways distributed around the world
- Dedicated government gateways under sovereign control
- Two Satellite Operations Centres (SOCs) (USA and Luxembourg)
- Diverse multi-orbit MEO, GEO and terrestrial network architecture implemented as a highly flexible Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN)
The result is that the loss of a satellite or gateway only marginally degrades the overall system capability. As demand increases, we plan to launch additional spacecraft and add more gateways, which will further enhance proliferation.
Why choose O3b mPOWER?
Take control – O3b mPOWER gives you the freedom to build and optimise your network, enabling you to steer data to ground targets and adapt to changing requirements in near real time.
Harness superior performance – with low latency and high throughput, the O3b mPOWER system delivers cloud capabilities to the very edge of your network, boosting operational agility and unlocking the potential for an array of new tools, applications and services.
Benefit from resilient systems – from anti-jam capabilities to supporting dedicated sovereign gateways, the O3b mPOWER system is engineered to meet government needs for secure, futureproof communications infrastructure.
Robust connectivity, secure, end-to-end managed network solutions
Through the world’s only multi-orbit, multi-band fleet of satellites, SES can deliver the services you need to rapidly deploy resilient communications infrastructure, wherever your operations are located. Download the brochure and learn how you can:
- Improve coordination, collaboration, and response
- Enable critical communications for civilian and military applications
- Build on scalable and secure connectivity to support seamless security and defence operations at sea, on land, or in the air
To find out how we can support your mission success, get in touch.Contact us today