What makes Ultra HD so much better?
By combining high dynamic range, wide color gamut and high frame rate, Ultra HD - also known as UHD or 4K in the filming industry - can provide an even more compelling viewing experience than the standard HD today.
Available Ultra HD channels as well as SES demo channels demonstrate how Ultra HD provides more colours, contrast, resolution and lifelike movement, resulting in more dramatic action for sporting events and a more compelling experience for premium movies and documentaries.
Experience real Ultra HD today
SES launched the world's first global Ultra HD channel, Fashion One 4K, in September 2015 and is now broadcasting 24 Ultra HD channels worldwide.
Among those channels, SES counts:
- Fashion One 4K, the world’s first fashion and lifestyle channel launching in more than 3 continents simultaneously
- Pearl TV, a German shopping channel being the first commercial free-to-air Ultra HD channel launched in Europe
- NASA UHD TV, the first ever non-commercial consumer Ultra HD channel in North America, highlighting beatufil imagery of earth from space
- High 4K TV, featuring a broad range of round-the-clock content from Ultra HD movies and TV shows to sports and documentaries
- INSIGHT, a new free-to-air channel exclusively available via satellite in Europe on ASTRA at 19.2 degrees East
Watch the new SES Ultra HD teaser
SES broadcasts Ultra HD demo channels over several orbital positions - see technical parameters for reception below. The clip combines a mix of detailed, colourful and attractive content including ballerina and karate, Mandala sand drawing, body paint, hot air balloons, city and landscape scenes from Vancouver.
For a full Ultra HD experience, tune your Ultra HD capable TV set and set-top-box to our demo channels. If you are not equipped with an Ultra HD TV set, have a look at our teaser below. Don’t forget to select the highest resolution available (HD or 4K).
Technical parameters for satellite reception
|Frequency:||10.994 GHz||12.441 GHz||11.345 GHz||11.817 MHz|
|Symbol Rate:||22 MSymb/s
Why broadcast Ultra HD via satellite?
Satellite will inevitably play a part because it is so well suited to live high definition content that reaches millions of households. Satellite broadcasting is the ideal way to provide Ultra HD, as it delivers sufficient bandwidth to all the DTH, cable and IP TV homes it serves.
Satellite technology allows Ultra HD to be easily distributed to millions of homes over the coming decades in the same way it has driven HD to become the de facto standard in digital TV today. SES was at the heart of the development of HD in Europe and Ultra HD is the next opportunity to make a tremendous difference to the landscape of broadcasting.