The Proton rocket carrying out ASTRA 2E satellite was rolled out yesterday to the launch pad at the Baikonur cosmodrome and verticalised. The launch of ASTRA 2E is scheduled for 30 September.
Some facts you need to know about the ASTRA 2E spacecraft;
1. Was manufactured by EADS Astrium in Toulouse, France.
2. Will serve to deliver next generation broadcast, VSAT and broadband services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa at the prime orbital location of 28.2/ 28.5 degrees East.
3. Has a life expectancy of 15+ years.
4. Will provide internet via satellite with download speeds of up to 20 Mbit/s to end consumers in Germany.
5. Is equipped with 60 Ku-band transponders and 4 wideband Ka-band transponders.
6. Will be the 54th satellite in the SES fleet.
7. Will be launched on board an ILS Proton Breeze M booster from pad 39 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
8. Has a launch mass of 6 tonnes and a wingspan of 40m once its solar panels are deployed in orbit.
9. Unlike any other infrastructure such as cable or LTE, immediately delivers high speed internet anywhere within its Ka-band footprint– be it in an Alpine village or a remote valley.
10. Is the second SES satellite launched in 2013.
For more information read press release here