It’s almost time for the launch of SES’ 54th satellite, ASTRA 2E. As we look forward to the launch, here are some quick facts that you would like to know about the spacecraft.
The ASTRA 2E spacecraft;
- Was manufactured by EADS Astrium in Toulouse, France.
- Will serve to deliver next generation broadcast, VSAT and broadband services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa at the prime orbital location of 28.2* East.
- Has a life expectancy of 15+ years.
- Will provide internet via satellite with download speeds of up to 20 Mbit/s to end consumers in Germany.
- Is equipped with 60 Ku-band transponders and 3 wideband Ka-band transponders.
- Will be the 54th satellite in the SES fleet.
- Will be launched on board an ILS Proton Breeze M booster from pad 39 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- Has a launch mass of 6020 kg.
- Unlike any other infrastructure such as cable or LTE, immediately delivers high speed internet anywhere within its Ka-band footprint– be it in an Alpine village or a remote valley.
- Is the second SES satellite launched in 2013.
To learn more about the capabilities of ASTRA 2E visit our fleet section here